There is an IRS Tool available that will help make some decisions regarding your individual tax return.
The ITA (Interactive Tax Assistant) provides answers to several tax law questions. The ITA includes question-and-answer session for a variety of topics. Users simply respond to basic questions to find the answers they need. Topics include:
- Do I Need to File a Tax Return?
- Who Can I Claim as a Dependent?
- How Much Is My Standard Deduction?
- What Is My Filing Status?
- Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?
Here is the link: Interactive Tax Assistant